Scouse in the South

Scouse in the South

Tuesday 2 August 2011

The week so far

Well, all ducks still standing. Good news therefore albeit they nearly tied themselves into knot panicking and diving around. A bit like my dog seems to think he's a small terrier particularly when glasses are on the coffee table so my ducks seem to have not realised their necks are long enough to get themselves into quite a riddle! They are still as fractious as ever but I think are slowly coming to terms that DD and I are not going to eat them as much as were not going away either! I had been giving them access to food constantly but today is day 1 of 'training.' Food in the evening, before bedtime. That way when they get released onto the pond it'll only take them ooooo around 4 months for the penny to drop that me = food = into the pen = bedtime in the house. Tis a slow old process sometimes. And that exactly echoes my thoughts I had this morning walking down to the field. Nature educates you in it's own way through it's own time. It's a serious lesson that nature is greater than the Mac, iphone or Blackberry or anything else that keeps us 24/7 going.


What I hadn't mentioned up until now was my great adventure this week with a pheasant chick. Out walking, dog comes back having retrieved a female pheasant....one chick left in nest. So feeling slightly guilty I had the whole 'country angel v city devil' discussion and decided I would try my best to rescue the chick until I could get him to a wildfowl home. Cue emergency cardboard box home being made lined with mower grass cuttings, bit of water etc. Phone call made to my duck man who also keeps  pheasant who tells me it'll probably be dead by morning. Well it took 2 days for that to happen and between there and then the chick was moved to luxury accommodation of an old cold frame, undersoil heating with straw and gourmet meals of crushed chick crumb and seed. She was even treated to a 'cook and catch your own party' when the flying ants came out. But nature said it wasn't right and wasn't to be and she didn't survive last night. A pity, but I am becoming hardened to certain events...


Mx

Weather: Beautiful, hot hot hot! 30 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment