Scouse in the South

Scouse in the South

Saturday 30 July 2011

Naming...

Felt compelled to write a quick Saturday update. All ducks alive and well so far! I must admit I approach the house with some trepidation each morning! The quacking a good sign! They are as mad and unsettled as ever! The drake is a complete wuss. He shows no leadership skills and was first in the 'huddle' for protection! Perhaps it will change as he gets older. The girls are very noisy, very mad (wings and beaks everywhere!) and very pecky! Clearly I'm not as fit as a couple of months ago as the lugging of water buckets 1/2 acre from barn to duck land seems heavier than ever. And why, when the inevitable splash and slop out of the buckets happens can the water not fall to the ground - why does it have to always find it's way into my boots?


DD and I are making progress on names. There is one with a slight bit of iridescent blue on her wing so DD thought Tinkerbell an appropriate name. The white is Jemima and the light fawn Camille. As yet the 'Mr & Mrs Trout' are unnamed.


As we approach high summer it is encouraging to see so many young bird families thriving around us. It is amazing to see young daredevil Buzzards hunt and I had the proof this morning that Buzzards do attack rabbits. I saw an amazing swoop early today. Hearing their call and watching them soar is one of the greatest spectacles this country has to offer. Let's just hope they don't develop a taste for duck!


Have also been seeing plenty of large, furry, black caterpillars with orange stripes. I am reliably informed this is the Cinnabar moth caterpillar. For anyone interested in what they look like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar_moth Stunning I'm sure you'll agree and pleased to see more pink in natures local rainbow!


All sheep are well, fat and happy. Bonnie (Bon Bon) is more obedient than my dog! I was told to consider getting my double D's (read previous threads if you're unsure what I'm on about!) put to the ram  for some Xmas lambing = spring meats. Considering I paid nearly £11 for 2 Barnsley chops yesterday I'm considering it seriously!


Mx

Weather: Sure is a beautiful day.... 19 degrees at 6am.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Drake, as a man, understand he is obviously under pressure from all the ducks

    ReplyDelete