Scouse in the South

Scouse in the South

Tuesday 9 August 2011

Calmness

....that's generally the weeks National topic - or lack of it. I have just returned from a short break in the Lake District which was astonishing. Although I have been there plenty of times before what struck me this time  was the sheer magnitude of the beauty about the place. The dramatic ever changing landscape that throws up so many questions as to it's origins, age and the communities that would have survived such elemental brutalness. I bathed my hands (I was desperate, having ripped 2 nails across the nail bed fiddling around with the tin shack of a hire car we were given - worst.car.ever. No manicurist or spa around in the middle of the Honister Pass. A slate mine yes.) in a waterfall. Pure, cool, refreshing mountain water - in the purest form you could take it. Just me, nature, DH who went off rock hunting or something, the tin shack on wheels and the sheep - my god, the toughest sheep ever. If ever mine need security it's these Hebrideans I'm calling. The Lake District is breathtakingly beautiful. We are so lucky to have this in our country, so accessible and so looked after. Nowhere else in the world could you sit in a 'proper' country pub betwixt Buttermere and Crummock Waters (The Fish) looking out of the door at a waterfall!


Which brings me to the sadness of the violence around the Country. We have so many reasons to be proud of this country - not it's wealth, politics or anything else material. Each and every one of us have access - even the inner citiers, access to a calm area. The sea, the mountains, the rolling fields, the rivers - whichever, whatever, it's beautiful. It provides natures answer to everything - calmness. It demands respect, something the politicians, police et al fail to do at times. So why are we being hellbent on destruction? Destroying our own environment? It's crazy, it goes against our instincts, where we began - all of us, in the most natural way through our Mums. It breaks my heart to see so much hatred and violence, especially in Liverpool. Liverpool with all of it's heritage, it's maritime history. The fabulous architecture. The dynamic, unique people. The sporting achievements, the musical achievements, the medical advances that are made there... So many great people, great places - all born within the foghorns of the old docks on the Mersey - the great natural river. We all have connections with nature - most of all with each other. As I pat my sheep and let out my ducks this morning, pushing my daughter on her swing on the old Oak whilst watching the young buzzards soar and screech I can't help but feel great sadness for what is going on. Nature comes in many forms and as I am learning down here, it is greater than anything else and needs to be respected. We all need to learn that lesson methinks. Urban nature is beauty too. Beating up nature and the environment is not the answer nor will it provide one. I hope for an end to all this soon.

Weather: Sunny mostly, bit cool though 18 degrees or so! Brrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment