Scouse in the South

Scouse in the South

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Day so far...

Mucho eventful morning...arrived down on 'duck land' around 7:30am to find Waldo dead in the house and a scene that, at best, reminded me of the loos in dodgy nightclubs one frequents in earlier years...(or was that just me?) Anyway, will spare you the details but NOT PLEASANT! Slightly panic stricken but trying to stiffen my country upper lip I gathered the remaining ducks into boxes ready for vet trip. Vet confirms an infection - likely sources, either brought in by one of the new KC's (though remarkably they seem free of this infection) a disease carrion has brought in (big magpie/crow problem here) or that it's been a dormant infection brought out by the stresses of last week (one dead new KC, one flown away KC) I leave £30 lighter with antibiotics to administer 'in the beak!'


I have spent my morning scrubbing the vile house out with Jeyes fluid which I can assure you all ladies does NOT mix with gelished nails (btw gelish the solution from heaven for working Mums!), digging a hole in our compost heap for Waldo to lie in and oddly feeling quite proud of myself at being able to give my ducks their antibiotics without choking them or doing something awful to them! I gave them each a sponge wash (ladies, we always feel better when we've had a nice bath right?) and left them in their pen with their original layers pellets (I had changed their feed and could kick myself for not changing it back sooner)


So roll call from last week:


Waldo (IR Drake) dead today
Abigail (IR white) very very weak - unlikely to make it but has drank today
Amelia (IR Apricot) was v weak but after a blast of antibiotics is now able to stand and waddle to her bowl - no food taken yet though.
Belle (youngest KC) survives though v traumatised by life
Betty (newest KC) survives, mega stressed but seems ok so far
Betty (original KC bought with Belle from a show 2 weekends ago) found dead in the water last Friday
unnamed KC (bought with Betty number 2) scaled a 6ft fence and currently missing in Isfield.


Great - how out of my depth do I feel right now? AND it's only meant to be a flipping hobby. Nothing to report on sheep, all are fine!


Mx


Weather: breezy but sunny and warm +20 degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment