Scouse in the South

Scouse in the South

Monday 18 July 2011

Hibernation

Surely, that's what has happened? Either that or I went to Spain and the UK decided not only to revert the hour back but the season also. How can it be mid July, 17 degrees, grey as October with weather to match?  Honestly I despair of our weather at times. I was fortunate enough to be on the coast at Sandwich for the Open for 2 days last week, the first day I had to buy a jumper (obviously finding colour, size and style was a mission in itself) to go under my winter raincoat it was so cold (thank god for tented shopping villages.) The day after however was baking and glorious but that seems to have been the last (and only) decent July day!


Anyway, moan over. As you can tell not much animal or land movement to be had thanks to the weather. DH has a new toy however to arrive shortly - an industrial brushcutter complete with 'cow horn' handles, harness, visor and ear defenders! He must have a photograph of himself put in his London office and ask people to 'name the caption!' A 1.5 hour train journey to separate City from country in a big way! It means duck land can get a good short, back and sides. Have been putting my duck man off to be honest as time has elapsed and I'm only just getting ready for them. Makes me appreciate the small flexibility I keep. For a lot of farmers and smallholders this simply isn't an option. Again, my city selfish upbringing pushes it's way through the country way of life to suit me. Of course, I am now experienced enough to await natures revenge for this!


I was asked a pretty straight forward question last week as to whether the land could turn an income. The straight forward answer is of course yes. Had it been extended to whether I could turn an income off the land well I don't know. I still have huge short fallings in confidence in my country abilities. Given the fact it's been left pretty much to me to manage (Monday to Friday certainly) I've not created a grand plan - yet. The question has prompted me to think more deeply about the answer than I imagine was intended. Along with lilac boots and remembering to take my aviators off when handling livestock, perhaps a mature level of thought is needed at this time, part way through summer in preparation for the autumn... plenty to ponder upon methinks...


Mx


Weather: Dreary, foul, windy and wet. One hope's it will improve for Saturday's Ascot picnic. Forget the new Moet to be drunk with ice, they needed a 'winter' Moet! Certainly winter Pimms is still called for.

No comments:

Post a Comment