Scouse in the South

Scouse in the South

Tuesday 26 July 2011

Getting ready...

...well the beginning of this week shows some resemblance to summer at least. I've been doing my sun dance all of last week as DD had her (outdoor) party yesterday and with last weeks monsoon type weather I was planning an emergency village hall hire as I steadfastly refuse to entertain 13+ children in my house... Harsh I know, but my initial plan was to ship them all down to the barn in the event of rain. Anyway, alls well that ends well. DD got her sunny party.


New ducks arriving this Thursday. I've just got to decide on the colours now. My reliable duck man has obtained some different colours so now I've fun decisions to be made which makes a change to write 'fun' next to 'ducks.' DH has strimmed duck land to within an inch of it's life, the house has been relocated away from the infection zone and new batteries are raring to go for the zapper fence. All I need now are my 4 girls and drake. Not that I can forget my old ducks still - the carrion saw to that last week by digging the compost heap and uprooting Abigail...not a pretty sight I can tell you. Put me right off my tiffin...!


Sheep all doing well. Very fat, very loud and Ollie now acts not only as 'top sheep' but like a sheepdog bounding along with Horsley (who's pad has now grown back thankfully) and generally baa-ing at the indignity of not being allowed through the gate to the other fields.


Everything else grows or survives here - raspberries starting to ripen and so the late summer picking of them and the wild blackberries awaits. A perfect summer scene - trug in hand, floppy hat on, dog keeping company, child having fun picking one, eating one... Well, it doesn't work life that. Firstly berry juice is nigh on impossible to remove from clothing. Also, half the time 'enjoying' picking is spent teaching said child not to pick the poisonous berries growing close. The sun rarely shines and raspberries leaves have an irritant on them so bare hand picking is out for me as the scratches hurt and an attractive rash appears. Blackberries also should come with a health warning (ooo maybe I shouldn't give the nanny state an idea) that one must take tweezers out with you if a novice berry picker - the thorns and fingernails are a dangerous combination!


More soon lovely people


Mx


Weather: ok - not Med like but much better than last week! Mind you the mushrooms are still sprouting with all the unseasonal dampness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment