Scouse in the South

Scouse in the South

Tuesday 14 June 2011

with each new day...

...I learn something new about all this space around me. Todays lesson was simple - never think you can get away with wearing your Zara summer pastels (even if it's with the pink boots) to do field work in. You very quickly then turn up at your daughter's Preschool looking more ' Yummy Mummy-in-need' than 'Yummy Mummy-indeed.' Jodphurs with sheep drool, rancid water and squashed fly on them are never a good look no matter how embracing of 'boho' one is... However, though it feels very odd to be without my duck purpose for now, the sheep are back in vogue on the field. After their weekend split all are pretty cool with life. Hiltz has been accepted into the flock without the Mummies ordering her away and the mini flock of lambs (5) are led by Ollie. I feel so proud it's one of my orphans who's doing this - especially as she survived a broken leg at birth (and 2 plaster casts after she shook the first one off!) She's going to be such a good Mum. I've decided we must get round to naming the Dorset sheep. Any suggestions for 2 Mums and 2 lambs? All girls of course!


Sitting in my enforced duckless state - waiting for the virus to 'settle', disinfect and then restock in around 4 weeks, I've oddly decided to look at pigs (bacon and duck eggs, you see my thinking!) and have also realised that I want our smallholding to hold purpose - sheep as lawnmowers are fine and cute but next year, if we get any male lambs they are heading straight for some homemade redcurrant sauce. I am going to stick to the 'thoroughbred of the duck world' (quoting last weeks Country Life) with Indian Runners, hatch their fertile eggs and sell them on. I cannot tell you how far this is away from the thoughts I very first had when we bought our land! I imagined sweet pets, sunny days and charming tales to tell to friends over dinner. Fact is, nature, once again educates us. Nature and it's brutalities and marvels has led me to a) believe and b) to understand that there has to be more for me than 'pets.' If I'm going to crack on and embrace the countryside and not just it's pubs and excuse for my 4x4 then there has to be 'reward' for going out, twice a day (with DD most days,) in all weathers and doing anything from wrestling sheep to burying dead ducks...


So today, I feel a bit closer to truly understanding nature and learning to respect it more. Mind you, I see no point whatsoever in this years rabbit population. Not sure what nature's trying to test with me here other than tolerance. Having decided this year to restock our strawberry patch (last years crop were so not 'Wimbledon') DH replanted, nurtured, fed and netted (twice round) them. Sipping a Pimms the other week we were feeling pretty smug (DH more into the fruit growing side of this smallholding malarky) on hearing this year a bumper crop of strawberries are expected given the outstanding Spring. Next morning - a savage attack had taken place down on the patch. Bloomin' rabbits had chewed through 2 layers of netting, left every leaf and eaten every single strawberry! All whilst my rabbit obsessed labrador snored...typical Horsley.


Will update again tomorrow.


Mx

Weather: The sun doth shine! Gorgeous - clear view of the South Downs - awe inspiring. 21 degrees currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment