Scouse in the South

Scouse in the South

Thursday 16 June 2011

Names

Today brings a whole new approach to 'glamour girls.' My Dorset Mums who have been separated from the greedy lambs now have absolutely mahoosive 'udder' teats! Poor girls (but fab Mums!) apart from looking like a unique breed of hybrid sheep/goat and cow they have to contend with the almost constant 'baa-ing' of their lambs from t'other side. No wonder they invariably take themselves off to the other side of their field! They don't seem in any pain from the swollen bits but I may bring them into the barn for a week or so (on advice from other, more capable smallholders than moi!) as apparently this may help. But we'll see how nature wants this one to pan out for me... Anyway, point being, it set me thinking and I think the Mums should be called Dors (Diana) and Dolly (Parton) (together they are...the Double D's!!) You could rattle off a whole load more names of course - Jordan, Jodie, Lola.. but hey, my sheep are pure bred and classy!


Slightly put off this morning by the biggest fox I have ever seen sitting in front of the empty duck pond. Honestly I thought it was an escaped Alsatian it was so big. Horsley (my guard dog extraordinaire)  ran away from it! Cheers dog! It soon bounded away, no doubt to return tonight for another 'rabbit by the campfire' session staked out.


Going to need to invest in some new boots soon too - have dettolled them so much lately the pink is wearing off! Sooo not good! Especially when they have started leaking too - leaky boots, squelch squelch - yuk ! Maybe I'll go lilac next time...will let DD decide as she has the matching ones of course! Reminded me of the last foot and mouth outbreak. I reckon I learned a lot from it last time. I was city based then but was still affected by it as had planned my annual pilgrammage to the subsequently cancelled Cheltenham festival and I sacrificed a gorgeous brown suede trouser suit (come on it was fashionable in 2001) and suede knee boots walking over the disinfectant mat at Aintree. God, never have I know rain like it at that meeting. Lashed down entirely (Red Maurader for those wondering btw) Mind you, I remember another time like that when my own horse Mister Tibus was running at Newton Abbot a few years back. In the lead - fell at the last, brilliant. Cue me - 7 months pregnant, in stiletto knee boots and white (yes WHITE!) coat running up the final furlong to be caught on camera (at the races channel) flinging my arms around this sweaty, filthy, snorting beast who (thankfully) got up (eventually.) Apparently the commentary had a fun time of it but hey ho - all about the emotion never the fashion in those circumstances. Oh but the dry cleaning bill was horrendous!


Ok, just the Dorset lambs to name now, pity they are not boys, mint and chops spring to mind....


More tomorrow
Mx


Weather: Whatever you want it to be! Had everything today! Wish it would settle down a bit - It's June for goodness sake!

No comments:

Post a Comment