Scouse in the South

Scouse in the South

Friday 30 August 2013

Life was easier when Apple and Blackberry were just fruits.

I found this quote the other day and was amused by it greatly. DH's Blackberry became like the '3rd woman' in our relationship at times and now we find ourselves hating the Apple brand yet owning more blinking Apple products than Granny Smith has apples.... So, it was while sat in the study, once again, getting frustrated with iTunes (seriously am I getting old or is it just not user friendly for the non geek?) that I thought sod it, life's too short so I headed off to check the apples and toss the windfalls to the chicks. Then DD and I took a trug and picked some blackberries. It set me thinking (I know - must have been the sushi I had for lunch) that I must share my favourite apple and blackberry pie recipe as we are at that time of year. Now don't get me wrong, I love a bit of Ramsey and Blanc (it's the bad boy and French, older men...all the time) but when it comes to baking you can stick Mary Berry in your 'Great British Nod Off' kitchen and lock her in as we all know Delia rules! 'Where arrrrree ya?' (non footballing fraternity can YouTube 'Delia Norwich Rant' for amusement here.

It's Friday, it's the weekend, the weather is going to be, umm. ok (possibly.) It's the last weekend before the great return to school. The kids are fed up, bored and let's face it, most of us parents are now skint with shares in Clarks and Teflon coated clothing having risen significantly. So. Don't give in to the 'just-give-them-the-iPad', get out in the hedgerows. Yes. Really! Now I know DH planted me my own thornless blackberries after one year too many of complaints of prickles in my paws and stains on the french manicure BUT I have picked wild blackberries every year since I've been here. It's worth it and I can say, honestly, they are definitely sweeter than any other year I've known. They freeze and are gloriously free. If you're really lucky and on the ball you'll find some damsons (damson gin) and sloes (gin again) to make. Look it up first though so you don't go picking deadly nightshade! :-) You see how helpful I can be?

So the recipe is on this link http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/galleries/blackberry-fare/apple-and-blackberry-pie.html  Stuff the making pastry bit - that's why god invented Jus-Rol. It couldn't be easier. I mean, come on, how long do you think I can spend in the kitchen? I'm the woman who buys cookery books whose spine has colours that match and tone the kitchen. Mind you, I can buff my bling a bit too and tell you I make jams - Delia again. Can't share her recipe as it's in my vintage 'How To Cook' book of hers and doesn't seem to be online but if any lovely readers have found a good online recipe pop the link in comments.

Enjoy - the weekends here! Oh 4 more 'top' tips:
1. Pick blackberries from the waist up (if you have male dogs you'll know this)
2. Smaller blackberries are excellent in a Pimms
3. Lemon juice is great for getting the stains off your hands - and save the manicure for afterwards.
4. It's quality time with little ones. No TV's, PC's, phones or otherwise. Be the adult. Start the conversation and just 'talk.' Not even Blackberry or Apple can charge you for that!

Mx

1 comment:

  1. Peter C aka Jagman30 August 2013 at 16:11

    And if you are a golfer you will know that picking blackberries needs to be well above waist height!!!

    ReplyDelete