Scouse in the South

Scouse in the South

Tuesday 8 November 2011

It's scary down south...

...well it is when it's pitch black, you've bought your torch from Robert Dyas and it's rubbish for 'proper walking' , you can't find your black dog and wonder 'was that a sheep, dog or fox right behind me...?' Oh yes, dark evening animal rounds are here. My first year of this with 'responsibility' and I'm not liking it at all! There's something a bit exposed about walking the land at the dead of night - brings out all sorts of vulnerabilities! Clearly I need to get a light rigged up in the barn. DH has already reinvested for me in a 'proper' torch ie one with a sensible power length and that beams like a mini portable floodlight. When the planes from Gatwick start trying to land in the sheep field then I'll reconsider 'toning down' the beam. Until then, let there be light! Oh and Horsleys now been equipped with an led flashing star light. He's none too impressed by it as a) he hates wearing collars, b) he can now be seen and c) it flashes red, blue and green. Soooo not the vogue for a lab about town!


Apologies this update has been long outstanding. It's just been a bit of mad time really adjusting to the new routines of managing the land. Finally we have acquired some hay. It was when I was in a ponderous mood last Saturday, sitting in the 4x4 surrounded by hay and the smell that I commented on an observation I had made to DH. In those heady days of courtship my husband would pick me up in flash Mercs, XJ6's...now we have hay, sheep nuts and a crystallix smallholder block in the back of the car which smells like a farmyard...indeed, glamour is a state in constant need of redefining... We've also spent some 'quality time' together DH and I at a reclaimed building suppliers yard, stocking up on flags to cover the more squelchy areas of clay around the access gates etc that doesn't aid the performance or tidiness of ones Hunters...


Denzel the ram (see previous posts) is on hold. All set he may have been to come one night standing Dolly and Dors but he doesn't fit into the social calendar just yet. Apparently its 147 days a sheep is preggers for - if Denzel had come on the 5th as planned then our lambs would have been appearing over Grand National weekend. This is so not going to happen as, aside from Cheltenham, going to Aintree is the top most place to be seen at the tail end (ha ha) of the National Hunt season. Mind you when they make it a flat race then I'll boycott it....ANYWAY...moving swiftly on...Denzel will be here 'soon.' The rest of the flock are mightily impressed with their smallholder block which for those who don't know (and I didn't) is a giant ice cream style tub of sticky, molasses and vitamins and minerals etc. The Double D's have nearly OD'd on it and so are sporting an attractive sticky brown patch around their white faces. I hope Denzel isn't fussy...


The pigs are growing - in size and decibel level of squealing! My goodness they are noisy! Their patch is now a glorious area of thick, deep mud aided by the recent wet weather down here and they are insatiable for apples. They've also had cabbage, lettuce, pears and pumpkins. Oh the pumpkins! 4 bites each = pumpkin gone! What great recyclers they are!


In all this torchlight walking I've also learned that the ducks hate it. I've yet to discover the rhyme or reason behind it but try getting them in when it's dark and you have no chance. The silly things all split up, quack frantically and do anything except head indoors. Mightily frustrating as the whole routine now has to be changed to accommodate them and it's a race when my DD comes home from school to change and get them in before it gets dark. One hungry 4 year often fails to see the point in this protesting 'but why Mummy? It's not like we get any eggs from them.' I've thought similar when stood there, in the pitch black, shining the torch, wrestling with it to enable me to clap at them, freezing stuck on a bank surrounded by hawthorns. I mean, you've got to show them who's boss right? Err right...possibly...but at the lure of the warmth of a good Shiraz and my sheepskin white company slippers then the ducks will just have to stay al fresco. Oh the glamour...


Mx

Weather: Foul. Grey, mizzly, drizzly cold. 10 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment