Scouse in the South

Scouse in the South

Friday 2 September 2011

Pride comes before a fall.

Writing this perched rather gingerly sporting a bruised hip and derriere having fallen whilst up town last night. Dashing for the train, slipped on some morons grimy Burger King chip and next thing I knew I had people sympathetically picking me up making me feel like an elderly lady. Amazingly this was neither alcohol related nor heel related but it's made the morning bucket hike and sheep wrestle somewhat 'challenging.' Serves me right for playing out I guess but as if my pride wasn't damaged enough (worst thing was my cream trousers suffered most) Ollie decided to butt my errr butt this morning sending me about 6ft into the air just as the number 29 went past....You know, I was once known for being ice cold hearted and difficult to read as a character - not since I've stepped into country life! No room for pride here!  Like there's always some catty so and so in the office ready to stab you in the back, there's always a sheep ready to turn you into the entertainment for those on their commute to Brighton... As if I didn't ache enough anyway after the bank holiday hike up the South Downs at Kingston. Gorgeous day, good to be alive blah blah and all those cliches apply but oh how I needed the pub afterwards!


The animals remain well (the sheep very well as you may have gathered.)  The ducks fly - yes Indian Runners FLY. That's flap their wings, reach 6ft and FLY. So, needless to say, remembering my Campbell escapee of not so long ago, they are in their pen area which is roofed until the weekend when DH and I can wrestle with them and clip their wings. A job that last time proved stressful for all concerned and I wonder if it contributed in any way to the fact that the week later they were ill... 


Staying on duck land matters, we have a new resident on the pond - one juvenile Heron every morning and every evening taking off from the lillypads rising into the sky majestically like something out of Jurassic Park. They really are amazing birds but not so great for young ducklings, thankfully, apart from cowering in their house on the first day, they seem big enough to share the pond with him. I have no clue what he's after as no fish exist in the pond! Better do some research methinks.


We have so much to do. Simply no time to turn the bottom lip down at the end of summer. Hay to gather, sheep pens to prepare, water pipes to lag, holes to fill, bridges to create over the areas that turn to neat clay enabling winter wheelbarrow usage and many more things I had no clue about  this time last year! Aside from that my role at this time of year seems to be chief cook. We are currently harvesting (ooo look at that word I can now apply to my life!) our apples, blackberries, raspberries, rhubarb and cob nuts. We are trying to learn about deadly nightshade and therefore not picking it and all of that means jams, chutneys, pies and pastries a plenty. Though it's been a difficult fruit growing year it's so nice - genuinely, so lovely to pick your own. Of course, it's also fashion changeover season and have been trying to create a capsule wardrobe for country work, yummy mummy work and work work (sigh, better get back to my cereal and water diet too.) So far, DD could give Suri Cruise a run for her money managing a more gorgeous look (and attitude) without the £ or should it be $? Joules quilted jacket the epitome of country cool this season. Me? well, I've invested (or so I've told DH) in Chanel's new eyeshadow and lipstick autumn range and bloomin' fab it is too - plum is so flattering (and long lasting for the benefit of DH should he read this on his travels!) 




More soon beautiful readers, thank you for all your comments you've sent too recently! Good to have your support. For those Tweeters out there I'm now @southscouse so please follow!


Mx

Weather: Not bad today, sunny and warm, 22 degrees thereabouts. Evenings are cool though, a sign of things to come...no leaves falling yet though! Surely there's one more BBQ weekend left...?

No comments:

Post a Comment