Scouse in the South

Scouse in the South

Saturday 11 June 2011

The best laid plans...

I was hoping to bring good news and some tales of (my) misfortune on my 'sheep day' today. Sadly not. I'm afraid my vet rang to confirm the results of the PM on Amelia - DVE (duck viral enterites) So there we go. Though I made the connection in jest it is indeed the same disease that killed the Queens flock. I had great excitement yesterday afternoon as after we got Betty's first egg for us in the house, Belle, not to be outdone had a go at her first egg. No shell mind, but bless her, she tried. Makes it all the more of a kick in the teeth then to write that Betty this morning didn't want to leave the house and was too easy to catch and has weeping eyes and a wheezy quack (bit like listening to an 80 a dayer.) 5 days of antibiotics and it's done nothing. My vet advises a cull and I never, ever thought I'd say this but listening to nature - rather than talking to it, I think this is the kindest. To cull or not to cull..? That is indeed the question...


I have achieved nothing with the sheep today. The stoats/rats have also run riot in the barn knocking everything off shelves and ripping (empty) bags everywhere...Observed something very interesting though on my walk back from the land - our resident Kestrel trying to land on our neighbours pond assumedly to try and attack his carp! Most unusual behaviour.


A sad day in 'duck land' How on earth am I going to cull them?
Mx

Weather: Miserable - showery, thundery, 13 degrees in the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment